Tuesday, September 24, 2013

In Which Red Pandas are Interpreted from a Pokémonist Perspective

Warning: references to Japanese games and folklore.

At the zoo over the weekend my friends and I were admiring the fluffy cuteness that is the red panda.

It's indistinguishable from a plush toy, really.

One of the fun things about speaking the local language natively is that eavesdropping becomes effortless.  Thus it was that I heard a small child ask her parent/guardian ask what the red panda evolved into.  Methinks this child has had a little too much Pokémon and not quite enough science.  At the same time, it's a great question.  What does a red panda evolve into?  A black and white panda?  A bear?

Post-evolution yawning!




Still, who am I to criticize the small child?  I had an urge to help the tanukis escape so they would do me a life-saving favor later at my next deus ex machina point.

Magical shape-shifting raccoon dog!

Tired magical shape-shifting raccoon dog.




No comments:

Post a Comment