Wednesday, February 5, 2014

In Wyoming. With a Complete Lack of Humility.

Today in examples of how I should not talk to anyone at the gym because it's frustrating, a gentleman wanted to know how much we might charge for silks lessons.  On hearing exactly the going rate for a group lesson in Atlanta, he informed us that we should have humility and offer a very low rate as a service to the community.  Since this gentleman is a lawyer, I wonder how humble his going rates are, outside his bar mandated pro bono hours of course.

Even if we were willing to undercut ourselves, ignore the expenses of our equipment and training, and decide our time and skills are not valuable (which, really, why would we?) we are not going to undercut the rest of the artistic community.  There are already problems with people who think artists are not worth their hire.  At least, I have run into people who think dancers should perform at their parties for approximately $50, or even free.  Because exposure, or something.

I'm not saying I would never cut rates.  I've been known to perform at fundraising events for free (well, and a reimbursement for travel, but I only ask for the latter if it's a sufficiently costly trip that I simply can't afford to take the loss.) But if I'm volunteering my time and skills, it will be either for a friends and family deal or a cause I believe in.  Cheap aerial acrobatic lessons for a community that does not value art do not qualify.

At least the wonderful ladies of my belly dance class have confirmed to me that it is very difficult here to get anything done when not a member of the good old boy network, and as a young educated woman it's just that much worse.  So the frustrations of here aren't strictly a result of me not understanding how to work with this community.

2 comments: