Monday, January 27, 2014

Jelly Roll Cake Round 2! Fight!

Today's opponent is a standard white jelly roll cake with a raspberry filling and a white chocolate glaze.  Except that I think white cakes are boring, so I poured in blue food coloring.  

For this battle, I decided to actually follow internet directions and upend the cake into a towel, rather than attempting to roll it with just the parchment paper it baked on.  In the spirit of following directions, I liberally besprinkled the towel with confectioner's sugar before upending the cake onto it.  This resulted in a powdered sugar related incident that led to the sugar being everywhere in the kitchen.  Even in the toaster.  Particularly in the toaster.  

Nonetheless, onward!  My homemade raspberry jam may have been too runny, as also, was the white chocolate glaze.  The glaze was not my fault.  The directions said to add water until the desired consistency was reached, and I had no idea what that would look like.  Whatever.  I sprinkled the top with raspberry sugar shipped to me by a very dear friend, and the cake is blue.  So it has that going for it.  





My rolling technique is still very crude, and I still can't avoid
breaking the cake a little. 

I don't think I won against this cake either, for all it was tasty.  


No comments:

Post a Comment