Friday, May 15, 2015

Thank You For Treating Me as a Capable, Rational Adult, Even Though I Present as a Short Cis-Female Who Does Not Drive a Big Truck

I shouldn't have to thank people for treating me like an autonomous, rational human being.  This should be the baseline, not the apex.

But I did it anyway.  Specifically, I thanked two of my (male) colleagues for taking me seriously during my time at the job I just left.  Because one of the diverse ways this town frustrates me to screaming tears is the way people just. won't. believe. me when I say something.  (Most recently, on Wednesday, the lady that I had to tell several times that yes, I really can fit the large boxes I was trying to buy into my small car, I've done it before, yes, really, so please, just sell me the boxes already!)

Ozymandias has some good points on this: On Praiseworthiness.  I think I did the right thing to thank them.  But I'm also angry that I felt it was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment