Sunday, June 22, 2014

Facebook Footballing: Doing it Wrong

I try to not be judgmental about how other people use the internet.  There is no One True Path to internetting happily, and I find it's much better for my peace of mind to block people than engage with them, but sometimes, people are just wrong on the internet.

I am currently irritated with the large numbers of people I have noticed on my Facebook feed complaining they don't like the World Cup because they don't understand the offsides rule.  If it was just people that didn't like the World Cup, I don't care.  Americans aren't interested in football or the metric system.  I get it.  If, however, the stated logic for not liking something is a lack of understanding it, I get annoyed when this statement is made on a web application.  If one is connected to the greatest repository of knowledge and cat pictures ever created by humanity, and uses this to complain about ignorance rather than as a remedy, that's just a waste.

I get that looking for credible information on the web is a learned skill.  I am trying not to be judgmental about people who struggle with this skill, because I have been called upon to teach this skill, and utterly failed because I search without thinking about it and don't have any intuitive (or, frankly, intellectual.  I just don't get it.) understanding of what exactly the problems are that many people face.  However, football is kinda the world's most popular sport here, not some esoteric little-known thing that must be assiduously hunted with just the right combination of search terms.    Typing "offsides rule" into any search engine should turn up something useful.  I really can't manage to not be judgy here.  This is not a topic like vaccines or genetically modified crops; there aren't a lot of quacks filling up search results with claims that the offsides rule is doing terrible things to children and something something chemicals.

I realize also that disliking something due to a lack of understanding is a human tradition that I would guess is older than cheese.  Note that cheese has been dated back to at least 7-8000 years ago.  However, we ought to be able to examine our traditions and discard those which are useless (anti-intellectual xenophobia) while continuing to embrace that which is glorious (cheese).

No comments:

Post a Comment