Sunday, April 13, 2014

National Poetry Month: A Maid in Bedlam

Meav Ni Mhaolchatha - Maid in Bedlam 

A MAID IN BEDLAM
(Traditional: English late 1700's)


Abroad as I was walking
One evening in the spring
I heard a maid in Bedlam
So sweetly for to sing
Her chain she rattled with her hands
And thus replied she

Chorus: I love my love
Because I know
My love loves me

Oh my cruel parents
Are being too unkind
They drove and punish me
And trouble my mind
For though I'm ruined for his love
Contented will I be

Chorus

Would I become a swallow
Ascend into the air
And if I lost my lover
And could not find him there
I quickly would become a fish
And search the flowing sea

Chorus

With straw I'll make a garland
And dress it very fine
I'll mix the wame with roses
Lily pink and tyne
I will preserve it for my love
When he returns from sea

Chorus

Just as she was sadly weeping
Her love came on the land
Hearing she was in Bedlam
He ran straight out of hand
And as he entered into the gates
He heard her sigh and say

Chorus

He stood and gazed on her
Hearing his love complain
He could not stand any longer
He bled in every vein
He flew in to her snowy white arms
And thus replied he

Chorus
 
She said, "My love, don't frighten me, are you my love or no?"
"Oh yes, my dearest Nancy, I am your love also
I am returned to make amends for all your injury
I love my love because I know my love loves me
I love my love because I know my love loves me"

No comments:

Post a Comment