Monday, March 10, 2014

Ms. Frizzle: An Inanna for Our Time

Because I am an adult, I can spend my Friday nights eating pizza and watching The Magic Schoolbus on Netflix if I so desire.  I can also, while doing this, develop a great desire to begin cosplaying Ms. Frizzle.  She has sandwich earrings!  Sandwich earrings!


This sudden need to dress in a way this fabulously bizarre has me kicking myself even more for failing, while in Tanzania, to buy the bright red fabric covered with clocks, hourglasses, and scythes.  I could have used that to cosplay Ms. Frizzle when the Magic School bus goes to Hell, an episode which should absolutely exist and that it does not is a void in my life of which I was hitherto unaware.

I said all that to say that I have been contemplating Ms. Frizzle recently, and I have concluded that she is really a goddess, specifically Inanna. Inana is absolutely into understanding and controlling  the world around her, as evidenced by her theft of the Mes.

Now to fit into the current zeitgest, Ms. Frizzle has had to make some adjustments, like replacing her lion with a lizard, replacing her chariot with a bus, and adding prints to her wacky dresses.



Also, she's not much of a sex goddess anymore, at least not at school (though who knows about her non-school life) but with plenty of celebrity singer types trying to be sex goddesses, there's really no need for her to fill that role.

But of course she is now in Hell, as suggested by the above-linked trailer for a movie that totally should exist.  I mean, the actual show episodes already include an undead foreshadow-y being.

Keisha looks at Ms Frizzle's scienc-y things while the self-animate classroom
skeleton looks on foreshadowingly. 

Inanna does make a trip to the afterlife, and Ms. Frizzle goes absolutely everywhere in her magic bus.  Inanna's removal of her clothes and jewelry in her descent is kind of a big deal, and we all know that the Friz's wacky jewelry is a big deal.  One can only hope that her worshippers/students rescue her from her crucifixion.

No comments:

Post a Comment