Sunday, April 23, 2017

March for Science 2017 Reflections

I feel guilty about missing the Women's March because it was raining that morning, so I was determined to make it to the March for Science.  I made a sign.  I marched.  I saw lots of other good signs.  Some of the best, text only because I did not have a camera:

  • "Science created ice cream.  Science is awesome."  As someone who often eats ice cream for breakfast and does not regret this in the slightest, I am in total agreement.  Also, science gave us refrigerators to keep the ice cream cold so we don't have to mix a batch every time we want some.
  • "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."-Marie Curie
  • "Science is true whether you believe it or not."     
  • "The oceans are rising and so are we."
  • "There is no planet B."  We've found a lot of exoplanets now, but even if we find another Earth-parallel planet, getting there is still a problem.  The dark between the stars is staggeringly vast.  As Phil Plait says, mind crushingly big.   
  • "Remember polio?  I do/I don't" (by generation).  Because vaccines!  I met a polio survivor.  My grandfather is a polio survivor.  I never worried about polio, or tetanus, or whooping cough, or measles, or mumps, or diphtheria, because science!!!
  • "All brains are biased.  Correct for this" with a second much larger sign listing references.  Good scientific practice: cite your sources!
 A friend sent a picture of the best sign for a mathematician:
Alas that my sign was not nearly this clever!

I have no regrets about spending an afternoon marching for science.  

No comments:

Post a Comment