Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Poetry Tuesday: Lion King of Ling

                                      Know me as I am, the one who has been foretold.
                                      It has been written in prophecies, and you know it in your hearts;
                                      I am Gesar, King of Ling,
                                      Who brings prosperity, dignity and joy,
                                      Who destroys cowardice, delusion and slavery,
                                      I am Gesar, Lion King of Ling,
                                      The great conqueror and the great healer.
                                      I am the light of your darkness,
                                      The food of your hunger, and the scourge of your corruption.
                                      I hold the sword of truth in one hand,
                                      And the medicine of peace in the other.
                                      The time of my kingdom is now.
                                    

From the epic of Gesar of Ling, of the Khampas (or Khambas), the fierce warriors of eastern Tibet.

Excerpt from The Warrior Song of King Gesar, by Douglas Penick.

No comments:

Post a Comment