Monday, May 5, 2014

Studying Dance

One thing that occasionally frustrates me about dance is that apart from ballet and angsty contemporary pieces, the stages available are largely nightclubs.  Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with nightclubs but I prefer to see art treated with a little more respect than is typical there.  But apparently there is now an academic conference for performative teaching and learning!

A dear friend and teacher of mine is presenting.  I am insanely jealous but I can't think of a better person to do this than a fierce Greek lady who studies folklore and promotes Middle Eastern dance as an expression of cultural identity.  She taught me about the Turkish influence on Greek fire rituals.

There are people in this world who know and understand the effects of the Turkish on Greek fire rituals.   This makes me almost as happy as knowing there is now an academic forum for such people.

No comments:

Post a Comment