Saturday, April 19, 2014

Caturday Poetry: Pangur Ban


I and Pangur Ban my cat, 
'Tis a like task we are at: 
Hunting mice is his delight, 
Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than praise of men 
'Tis to sit with book and pen; 
Pangur bears me no ill-will, 
He too plies his simple skill.

'Tis a merry task to see 
At our tasks how glad are we, 
When at home we sit and find 
Entertainment to our mind.

Oftentimes a mouse will stray 
In the hero Pangur's way; 
Oftentimes my keen thought set 
Takes a meaning in its net.

'Gainst the wall he sets his eye 
Full and fierce and sharp and sly; 
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I 
All my little wisdom try.

When a mouse darts from its den, 
O how glad is Pangur then! 
O what gladness do I prove 
When I solve the doubts I love!

So in peace our task we ply, 
Pangur Ban, my cat, and I; 
In our arts we find our bliss, 
I have mine and he has his.

Practice every day has made 
Pangur perfect in his trade; 
I get wisdom day and night 
Turning darkness into light.
~Anonymous 9th century Irish monk


Neither Scaramouche nor Tamerlane are particularly strong against mice, but my old kitty Miriah is very very strong against all small rodents.  But she is old and grey and full of sleep, so now she just dreams of killing mice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment