Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Close Encounters of the Wyoming Kind

I talked to people today!  About things!  For work and community integration!  I was not impressed with the experience.


  • While putting gas in the car (See?  I can do first world things!  I drive a car and I pay for gas with a credit card and I turn off the engine before putting gas in it. Unlike Tanzanians.) I was engaged in casual small talk by a gentleman putting fuel in his overly large pickup.  This gentleman, it turns out, hates Wyoming and has to work all the time to support his four children (Is it culturally appropriate to talk with Americans about condom usage, importance of?).  It further developed that he wanted my phone number and a date.  Seriously, who makes passes at strange women in gas stations?  Is that a thing?  Can it be not a thing? 


  • While doing my actual sort of job and trying to sweet talk some people at a nice gym with a high ceiling into letting us nice dancers rig aerial silks in exchange for paying the gym money, I encountered a rec center supervisor who, instead of just saying no to me, started making up physics in order to explain to me that the ceiling was only for, and I quote, "up forces, not down forces."  I don't even know what to say to that.  Can we get some government organization to send in some volunteer physics teachers posthaste? 


On the plus side, the ladies at the DMV were nice and there are so few people in this state that there is no line-waiting to be done.  Also, there is a coffee house which is not part of an imperialistic franchise and at which the baristas will very nicely ask if I would like whipped cream and a chocolate covered espresso bean on top of my drinks.  Yes.  Yes I would.  Thank you for anticipating my shallow needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment