Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Thunderbolt Fantasy: Costuming Dreamland

As the mad-person-who-stitches, I'm still not done recording my efforts for Yuna of Final Fantasy X, translated for aerials.  But I'm going to take this week to rhapsodize over the puppets in a new Japanese-Taiwanese television series called Thunderbolt Fantasy.  Because these puppets are gorgeous.  I am hanging on every episode as they come out, oscillating between admiration for the beauty of the costumes and sets, amusement when I spot cheap hacks (or clever work-arounds, depending on your point of view) in the costume construction, and severe criticism of how fake the weapons look. 



The hero:


I love a man who wears skirts and has long hair!  The asymmetrical cloak and detailing, plus being totally kick-ass with a sword, are bonus features.































The heroine:



So much shiny satin and fluffy chiffon and sparklies!  Also the blue butterfly hat.

































The mysterious stranger who prevents the story from ending in chapter 1 and brings hero and heroine together.  Obviously more than a random traveler smoking under a tree:






Notice the front "panel" of his costume is a human-size zipper!  And his choker is a (small) human belt.  I can't decide if I think this is ingenious or ridiculous.  But his headpiece is beautiful, as is his hair.  And those feathery/leafy blue epaulets are amazing.  I love a man who wears skirts and has long hair!  Being mysteriously wise and philosophical is a definite requisite as well.

















The arch-villian:
He sparkles!  Have I mentioned how I love men who wear skirts and have long hair?  Beads and gold trim and gold applique and a stiffened collar-of-doom definitely don't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment